, Environmental Resource Engineering,
Lembo joined the
to his time at
Throughout his career, Dr. Lembo has implemented some of the larger enterprise GIS projects within the country, and is a frequently invited speaker to a number of conferences and workshops focused on geographic information system technology.
Dr. Lembo's primary research interests are in the use of advanced information technologies for geo-processing. Lately, his research is focused on GIS applications using smart phone technologies, enterprise GIS, and parallel processing using PC gaming cards. Some of his research has included:
· National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored research to implement massively parallel processing algorithms with ordinary PC gaming card in raster based GIS (see poster).
· Kellogg Foundation sponsored research for evaluating the potential to enhance local and regional food systems.
· Maryland Governors Office of Crime Control and Prevention (GOCCP) sponsored research for developing an Internet based crime analysis and reporting system.
· Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) sponsored research for implementing an Internet based GIS application for determining property locations within Maryland’s critical area.
· National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored research for the Multi-Disciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER) to create an Internet based GIS application to maintain and visualize earthquake related information.
· National Science
Foundation (NSF) sponsored research for the
· National Science
Foundation (NSF) sponsored research to study the performance and
interrelationships of the underground infrastructure at the
· Keyspan Energy sponsored research in the development of spatial algorithms for implementing GIS technology within the gas utility industry.
· NASA sponsored research for the Development of the model curriculum for Geospatial Technologies. Dr. Lembo developed two online courses: Introduction to Geospatial Information, and Business Geographics. (http://geoworkforce.olemiss.edu/).
During his years in the private sector, Dr. Lembo:
· Provided direction to Eastman Kodak in identifying future markets for imaging.
· Developed geo-processing tools for priceline.com in support of e-commerce activity.
· Integrated global
positioning system technology with personal digital assistant technology
(PDA) for field data collection for the Long Island Rail Road. As part of his work with the
enterprise based GIS at the
Dr. Lembo has an active program in assisting local municipalities, first responder organizations, and environmental groups with implementing geographic solutions to their needs. Recently, he has begun development of Internet based applications for use in the Apple iPad and other Android-based systems.
Some of the recent organizations that Dr. Lembo has assisted include the Salisbury City Police, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, Public Agency for Pipeline Awareness, and Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Kirby, S, W. Kostan, AJ Lembo. 2013. High Performance Desktop Computing with Video Gaming Cards: Parallelizing Raster Based Functions in GIS. URISA Journal.
34. Sauders, Brian D., Dr. Jon Overdevest , Esther D Fortes , Mrs. Katy Windham , Ynte Schukken , Dr. Arthur J Lembo, Dr. Martin Wiedmann. (2012) Diversity of Listeria species in urban and natural environments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. American Society for Microbiology.
33. Peters, C., N. Bills, AJ Lembo, J Wilkins, G Fick, 2011. Mapping Potential Foodsheds in New York State by Food Group: An Approach for Prioritizing which Foods to Grow Locally. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, volume 27, issue 02, pp. 125-137.
32. Grandt, S., Q. Ketterings, A.J. Lembo, F. Vermeylen. 2010. In-Field Spatial Variability of Soil Test Phosphorus and Implications for Agronomic and Environmental Phosphorus Management. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. SSSAJ: Volume 74: Number 5 • September–October 2010.
31. De Wan, A.A., Sullivan, P.J., Lembo, A.J., Smith, C.R., Maerz, J.C., Lassoie, J.P., and Richmond, M.E. 2009. Using occupancy models of forest breeding birds to prioritize conservation planning. Biol. Conserv. 142(5):982-991.
30. Stewart, J. J. Hu, R. Kayen, AJ Lembo, B. Collins, C. Davis, and T.D. O'Rourke. 2009. Use of Airborne and Terrestrial lidar to Detect Ground Displacement Hazards to Water Systems. J. Surv. Engrg. Volume 135, Issue 3, pp. 113-124. American Congress of Civil Engineering.
29. Sousa, C., R. Malecki, A.J. Lembo, Hindman, L. 2009. Monitoring Habitat Use by Mute Swans in the Chesapeake Bay. Proc. Annu. Conf. Southeast. Assoc. Fish and Wildl. Agencies 62:88–93.
28. Boulanger, J. R., L. L. Bigler, P. D. Curtis, D. H. Lein, and A. J. Lembo, Jr. 2008. Comparison of suburban vaccine distribution strategies to control raccoon rabies. Journal of Wildlife Diseases Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 44(4), 2008, pp. 1014-1023.
27. Boulanger, J. R., L. L. Bigler, P. D. Curtis, D. H. Lein, and A. J. Lembo, Jr. 2008. Evaluation of an oral rabies vaccination program to control raccoon rabies in a suburbanized landscape. Human–Wildlife Conflicts 2(2):212–224, Fall 2008
26. Lyon, S.W., J. Seibert, A.J. Lembo, T.S. Steenhuis, and M.T. Walter 2008. A new distance metric for interpolation of water quality along stream networks from synoptic data, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 5, 1289–1317, 2008.
25. S. Lyon, J. Seibert, A. Lembo, T. Steenhuis, and M. Walter. 2008. Incorporating landscape characteristics in a distance metric for interpolating between observations of stream water chemistry. Hydrology and Earth Systems Science. European Geoscience Union. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 12, 1229-1239, 2008.
24. Lembo, A. J., Jr., Bonneau, A., and O’Rouke, T. D. 2008. “Integrative Technologies in Support of GIS-Based Postdisaster Response.” Natural Hazards Rev. 9, 61(2008).
23. Barney J.N., Whitlow T.H., Lembo A.J. (2008) Revealing Historic Invasion Patterns and Potential Invasion Sites for Two Non-Native Plant Species. PLoS ONE 3(2): e1635. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001635
22. Peters, C., N. Bills, A.J. Lembo, J. Wilkins, G. Fick. 2008. Mapping potential foodsheds in New York State: A spatial model for evaluating the capacity to localize food production. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems.
21. Lembo, A.J., L.P. Wagenet, T. Schusler, S.D. DeGloria. 2007. Creating Affordable Internet Map Server Applications for regional scale applications. J Environ Manage. 2007 Dec;85(4):1120-31. Epub 2007 Jan 17
20. Lyon, S.W., A.J. Lembo, T.S. Steenhuis, and M.T. Walter (2006), Internet mapping tools make scientific applications easy, EOS, 87(38):386, 9/19/2006.
19. Boulanger, J. R., L. L. Bigler, P. D. Curtis, D. H. Lein, and A. J. Lembo, Jr. 2006. A PVC bait station for dispensing rabies vaccine to raccoons in suburban landscapes. Wildlife Society Bulletin.
18. Davidson, R., Lembo, Jr., A., Ma, J. Nozick, L., and O'Rourke, T. 2006. Optimization of investments in natural gas distribution networks. Journal of Energy Engineering 132(2), 1-9.
17. Lembo, A, Lew, M., Laba, M., Baveyye, P. 2006. Use of Spatial SQL to Assess the Practical Significance of the Modifiable Areal Unit Problem. Computer and Geosciences. Elsevier Press, v. 32, n. 2, pp. 270-274.
B.D., Durak, M.Z., Fortes, E.,
Agnew, L.J., M.T. Walter, A. Lembo, P. Gérard-Marchant, T.S. Steenhuis. 2006. Identifying hydrologically
sensitive areas: Bridging science and application. J
Environ Manage. 2006 Jan;78(1):63-76. Epub 2005
14. Lembo, A, Lew, M., Laba, M., Baveyye, P. 2005. Use of Spatial SQL to Assess the Practical Significance of the Modifiable Areal Unit Problem. Computer and Geosciences. Elsevier Press, v. 32, n. 2, pp. 270-274.
12. Sidumo, A. Shields, E, and Lembo, A. 2005. Estimating the Potato Leafhopper (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) Overwintering Range and Spring Premigrant Development by Using Geographic Information Systems. Journal of Economic Entomology, 98:03.
11. Ma, J., Scott, N., Lembo, A., and DeGloria, S. 2005. Siting analysis of farm-based centralized anaerobic digester systems for distributed generation using GIS. Biomass and Bioenergy, 28:6, pp. 591-600
10. Sinkevich, M. G., M.T. Walter, T. S. Steenhuis, A. J. Lembo, B. K. Richards, and N. Peranginangin. 2005. A GIS-based groundwater contamination risk assessment tool for pesticides. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation. 25 (4): 82-91.
9. Lyon, S.W., A.J. Lembo, M.T. Walter, T.S. Steenhuis. 2005. Defining probability of saturation with indicator kriging on hard and soft data. Advances in Water Resources. 29(2):181-193.
8. Davidson, R.A., Lembo, A.J., Ma, J., Nozick, L.K., O’Rourke, T.D. 2005. Optimization of Investments in Natural Gas
Distribution Networks. Journal of
Energy Engineering. American Society
of Civil Engineers.
7. O’Rourke, Lembo,
and Nozick, 2003.
Lessons Learned from the
6. Gardner, Sullivan, Lembo,
2003. Predicting stream temperatures: geostatistical model comparison using alternative
distance metrics. Canadian Journal
of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
Vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 344-351.
National Research Council
5. Lembo, O’Rourke, and Moses, 2003. Coordinate Improvement of Vector GIS Data Using Rubbersheet Methods. Journal of Surveying and Land Information Science. Vol. 63, no. 1. The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
4. Lembo and O’Rourke. A Historical Review of Software Innovations in the Graphical User Interface for Rubbersheet Algorithms. Journal of Surveying and Land Information Science. Vol. 63, no. 3. The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
3. Lembo, Davidson, Nozick, and O’Rourke, 2003. Computing the Distance to Nearest Utility: As-the-Crow Flies vs. As the Gas Flows. Journal of Cartography and Geographic Information Systems. Vol. 30, no. 4. The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
2. Lembo, 2000. The Use of Real Time Kinematic Global Positioning System (GPS) Technology for Precise Corridor Mapping. GPS Solutions, Vol. 2, No. 4. Published by John Wiley & Son. (invited publication, not refereed).
1. Lembo and
Papers published at professional meetings
Ivanek, R., Gröhn, Y.T., Wells, M.T., Lembo Jr, A.J., Sauders, B.D. and Wiedmann M. Modeling of spatial and meteorological factors influencing Listeria isolation from natural environments. Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD) Anual Meeting, December 7- 9, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
Ivanek, R., Gröhn, Y.T., Wells, M.T., Lembo Jr, A.J., Sauders, B.D. and Wiedmann M. Modeling of spatially referenced ecological and meteorological factors influencing Listeria isolation from natural environments. The Society for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (SVEPM) Annual Conference, April 1-3, 2009, London, UK.
Comparison Of Coincident Terrestrial And Airborne Lidar Datasets With Repect To Detection Of Ground Metrics And Topographic Change (American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Dec. 2008). Robert E. Kayen Jonathan P. Stewart, Arthur J. Lembo, Jr, Jianping Hu, , Craig Davis, Brian D. Collins, Diane Minasian, and Thomas D. O'Rourke
Faison, H. M. Greene, J. Marrow, G. Mulford, A.J. Lembo, and
J. Love. 2006. Mult-disciplinary
development and application of information technology solutions in earthquake
reconnaissance. The 100 Anniversary
Earthquake Conference Commemorating the 1906 Earthquake.
Lyon, S. W., J. Seibert, A. J. Lembo, M. T. Walter, W. J. Gburek, D. Thongs, E. Schneiderman, T. S. Steenhuis (2005), Interpolation of Water Quality Along Stream Networks from Synoptic Data, Eos Trans. AGU, 86(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract H31I-06 .
Wagenet, L.P., M.J.
Lembo and Francis,
2003. A Spatial Approach to the
Analysis of Election Results. Proceedings
of the Rural Sociological Society 66th Annual Meeting.”Spatial
Inequality: Continuity and Change in
O’Rourke, Nozick, and Ma, 2003. GIS in Support of Optimization Modeling in
the Gas Utility Industry. Proceedings
of the 23rd Annual Environmental Systems Research Institute
International User Conference.
O’Rourke, Lembo, and Nozick,
2002. Lessons Learned in Extreme
Events in Crowded Urban Environments.
In Proceedings. Second
Annual IIASA-DPRI Meeting INTEGRATED DISASTER RISK MANAGEMENT: Megacity
Vulnerability and Resilience IIASA, A-2361
Lembo, Annitto, and Reilly; 1995. Automated Quality Control of Photogrammetic Data. In Proceedings. 1995 Urban
and Regional Information Systems Association,
Kramer and Lembo; 1989.
A GIS Methodology for Large Scale Commercial Development. In Proceedings. 1989 GIS/LIS.
Technical articles, books, etc.
Lembo, 2008. Manifold GIS. In Encyclopedia of GIS. Sage Publications. Edited by Karen Kemp.
Lembo, O’Rourke, Bonneau. 2004. Advanced Web Based GIS Management Technology. In Research Progress and Accomplishments: A selection of technical achievements of the multi-disciplinary center for earthquake engineering research. National Science Foundation EEC-9701471.
Lembo, 2004. How do I do
that in ArcGIS/Manifold?: Illustrating classic GIS tasks..
Lembo and DeGloria, 2001. Removal of Selective Availability: New Opportunities for Field Data Collection. Whats Cropping Up?
Lembo, 2000. The Use of Real Time Kinematic Global Positioning System (GPS) Technology for Precise Corridor Mapping. GPS Solutions, Vol. 2, No. 4. Published by John Wiley & Son.
Extension publications (bulletins, fact sheets, newsletters edited, training materials/manuals for staff and clientele, etc.)
Albrecht and Lembo, 2002. Basic Geographic Information System Use for Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning. A workshop delivered to Cornell Cooperative Extension Field Crop Educators during the Nutrient Management Spear Program's summer retreat on September 4, 2002.
Lembo, O’Rourke, Nozick, 2001.
GIS-Based Decision Support for Gas Distribution Systems: Task 2 – Identification and Selection of
Relevant Databases Keyspan Energy,
Lembo and DeGloria, 2001. Global Positioning System for Wetland Management. Instructed Agricultural Extension Agents in the use of global positioning system technology. This seminar include lecture, field collection of data with GPS, and processing GPS data.
Lembo and Davis, 2005. Seeing is learning: the use of very large images for research and teaching. Geoinformatics. January, 2005.
Lembo, 2004. Manifold GIS Review. Geoworld. Adams Business
Lembo, DeGloria, Sullivan, 2001. Strategies for Teaching Geographic Information Science in a Multi-Disciplinary University Environment. GIS Educator. Published by Environmental Research Institute Press.
Lembo, Powers, and Gorin, 1998. The Use of Innovative Data Collection Techniques in Support of Enterprise-wide GIS Development. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. September, 1998.
Lembo, 2003. Evaluating water system damage. Institute for Civil Infrastructure Systems.http
2002. Migrating Laboratory
Exercises to ArcGIS: Lessons Learned. Second Annual ESRI International
Educational User Conference.
Lembo, 2002 NYS Conference on Geographic Information