Arthur J. Lembo, Jr.
Professor, Department of Geography and Geoscience
Technical Director, Eastern Shore Regional GIS Cooperative
School of Science and Technology
B.S. Geography, State University of New York, College at Oneonta (1987)
M.A. Geography, State University of New York at Buffalo (1989)
Ph.D. , Environmental Resource Engineering, State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry (1997).
Arthur Lembo joined the Salisbury faculty in 2007, after spending 7 years at Cornell University, where he won the Cornell University Faculty Innovation in Teaching Award, the North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Teacher of Merit, and the prestigious State University of New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Previous to his time at Cornell University, Dr Lembo spent 10 years in private industry implementing large-scale geographic information systems for both the public and private sector, and was President of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing’s (ASPRS) Central New York Region (www.esf.edu/asprs).
Throughout his career, Dr. Lembo has implemented some of the larger enterprise GIS projects within the country, and is a frequently invited speaker to a number of conferences and workshops focused on geographic information system technology.
Dr. Lembo maintains a blog at artlembo.wordpress.com.
Dr. Lembo has published four books: An Introduction to Statistical Problem Solving in Geography published by Waveland Press, and a self-published workbook Workbook for Statistical Problem Solving in Geography, and two books on the use of spatial SQL in Manifold GIS and PostGIS called How do I do that in PostGIS, and How do I do that in Manifold SQL.
2018: State of Maryland
Board of Regents Award for Teaching Excelence.
Dr. Lembo's primary research interests are in the use of advanced information technologies for geo-processing. Lately, his research is focused on GIS applications using smart phone technologies, enterprise GIS, and parallel processing using PC gaming cards. Some of his research has included:
· National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored research to implement massively parallel processing algorithms with ordinary PC gaming card in raster based GIS (see poster).
· Kellogg Foundation sponsored research for evaluating the potential to enhance local and regional food systems.
· Maryland Governors Office of Crime Control and Prevention (GOCCP) sponsored research for developing an Internet based crime analysis and reporting system.
· Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) sponsored research for implementing an Internet based GIS application for determining property locations within Maryland’s critical area.
· National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored research for the Multi-Disciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER) to create an Internet based GIS application to maintain and visualize earthquake related information.
· United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) sponsored research for the development of an internet based spatial discovery system for agricultural and environmental information.
· National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored research for the Institute of Civil Infrastructure Systems to study advanced information system technology for improved infrastructure planning and management (www.nyu.edu/icis).
· National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored research to study the performance and interrelationships of the underground infrastructure at the World Trade Center during and immediately after the attacks of September 11 (see article).
· Keyspan Energy sponsored research in the development of spatial algorithms for implementing GIS technology within the gas utility industry.
· NASA sponsored research for the Development of the model curriculum for Geospatial Technologies. Dr. Lembo developed two online courses: Introduction to Geospatial Information, and Business Geographics. (http://geoworkforce.olemiss.edu/).
During his years in the private sector, Dr. Lembo:
· Provided direction to Eastman Kodak in identifying future markets for imaging.
· Developed geo-processing tools for priceline.com in support of e-commerce activity.
· Integrated global positioning system technology with personal digital assistant technology (PDA) for field data collection for the Long Island Rail Road. As part of his work with the Long Island Rail Road, Dr. Lembo is involved in the use of dynamic segmentation modeling of linear rail networks, and the linking of very large spatial data warehouses with traditional data warehouse technology.
· Implemented enterprise based GIS at the Long Island Rail Road, Nassau County, NY, and Suffolk County, NY.
Dr. Lembo has an active program in assisting local municipalities, first responder organizations, and environmental groups with implementing geographic solutions to their needs. Recently, he has begun development of Internet based applications for use in the Apple iPad and other Android-based systems for the Nature Conservancy, the City of Havre de Grace, and the Sea Gull Century.
Some of the recent organizations that Dr. Lembo has assisted include the Salisbury City Police, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, Public Agency for Pipeline Awareness, and Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Kirby, S, W. Kostan, AJ Lembo. 2013. High Performance Desktop Computing with Video Gaming Cards: Parallelizing Raster Based Functions in GIS. URISA Journal.
34. Sauders, Brian D., Dr. Jon Overdevest , Esther D Fortes , Mrs. Katy Windham , Ynte Schukken , Dr. Arthur J Lembo, Dr. Martin Wiedmann. (2012) Diversity of Listeria species in urban and natural environments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. American Society for Microbiology.
33. Peters, C., N. Bills, AJ Lembo, J Wilkins, G Fick, 2011. Mapping Potential Foodsheds in New York State by Food Group: An Approach for Prioritizing which Foods to Grow Locally. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, volume 27, issue 02, pp. 125-137.
32. Grandt, S., Q. Ketterings, A.J. Lembo, F. Vermeylen. 2010. In-Field Spatial Variability of Soil Test Phosphorus and Implications for Agronomic and Environmental Phosphorus Management. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. SSSAJ: Volume 74: Number 5 • September–October 2010.
31. De Wan, A.A., Sullivan, P.J., Lembo, A.J., Smith, C.R., Maerz, J.C., Lassoie, J.P., and Richmond, M.E. 2009. Using occupancy models of forest breeding birds to prioritize conservation planning. Biol. Conserv. 142(5):982-991.
30. Stewart, J. J. Hu, R. Kayen, AJ Lembo, B. Collins, C. Davis, and T.D. O'Rourke. 2009. Use of Airborne and Terrestrial lidar to Detect Ground Displacement Hazards to Water Systems. J. Surv. Engrg. Volume 135, Issue 3, pp. 113-124. American Congress of Civil Engineering.
29. Sousa, C., R. Malecki, A.J. Lembo, Hindman, L. 2009. Monitoring Habitat Use by Mute Swans in the Chesapeake Bay. Proc. Annu. Conf. Southeast. Assoc. Fish and Wildl. Agencies 62:88–93.
28. Boulanger, J. R., L. L. Bigler, P. D. Curtis, D. H. Lein, and A. J. Lembo, Jr. 2008. Comparison of suburban vaccine distribution strategies to control raccoon rabies. Journal of Wildlife Diseases Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 44(4), 2008, pp. 1014-1023.
27. Boulanger, J. R., L. L. Bigler, P. D. Curtis, D. H. Lein, and A. J. Lembo, Jr. 2008. Evaluation of an oral rabies vaccination program to control raccoon rabies in a suburbanized landscape. Human–Wildlife Conflicts 2(2):212–224, Fall 2008
26. Lyon, S.W., J. Seibert, A.J. Lembo, T.S. Steenhuis, and M.T. Walter 2008. A new distance metric for interpolation of water quality along stream networks from synoptic data, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 5, 1289–1317, 2008.
25. S. Lyon, J. Seibert, A. Lembo, T. Steenhuis, and M. Walter. 2008. Incorporating landscape characteristics in a distance metric for interpolating between observations of stream water chemistry. Hydrology and Earth Systems Science. European Geoscience Union. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 12, 1229-1239, 2008.
24. Lembo, A. J., Jr., Bonneau, A., and O’Rouke, T. D. 2008. “Integrative Technologies in Support of GIS-Based Postdisaster Response.” Natural Hazards Rev. 9, 61(2008).
23. Barney J.N., Whitlow T.H., Lembo A.J. (2008) Revealing Historic Invasion Patterns and Potential Invasion Sites for Two Non-Native Plant Species. PLoS ONE 3(2): e1635. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001635
22. Peters, C., N. Bills, A.J. Lembo, J. Wilkins, G. Fick. 2008. Mapping potential foodsheds in New York State: A spatial model for evaluating the capacity to localize food production. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems.
21. Lembo, A.J., L.P. Wagenet, T. Schusler, S.D. DeGloria. 2007. Creating Affordable Internet Map Server Applications for regional scale applications. J Environ Manage. 2007 Dec;85(4):1120-31. Epub 2007 Jan 17
20. Lyon, S.W., A.J. Lembo, T.S. Steenhuis, and M.T. Walter (2006), Internet mapping tools make scientific applications easy, EOS, 87(38):386, 9/19/2006.
19. Boulanger, J. R., L. L. Bigler, P. D. Curtis, D. H. Lein, and A. J. Lembo, Jr. 2006. A PVC bait station for dispensing rabies vaccine to raccoons in suburban landscapes. Wildlife Society Bulletin.
18. Davidson, R., Lembo, Jr., A., Ma, J. Nozick, L., and O'Rourke, T. 2006. Optimization of investments in natural gas distribution networks. Journal of Energy Engineering 132(2), 1-9.
17. Lembo, A, Lew, M., Laba, M., Baveyye, P. 2006. Use of Spatial SQL to Assess the Practical Significance of the Modifiable Areal Unit Problem. Computer and Geosciences. Elsevier Press, v. 32, n. 2, pp. 270-274.
16. Sauders, B.D., Durak, M.Z., Fortes, E., Windham , K., Schukken, Y., Lembo, A.J., Akey, B., Nightingale, K.K., Wiedmann, M. 2006. Molecular characterization and ecology of Listeria monocytogenes from natural and urban. Journal of Food Protection: Vol. 69, No. 1, pp. 93–105.
Agnew, L.J., M.T. Walter, A. Lembo,
P. Gérard-Marchant, T.S. Steenhuis. 2006.
Identifying hydrologically sensitive areas: Bridging science and application.
Environ Manage. 2006 Jan;78(1):63-76. Epub 2005 Sep 19.
14. Lembo, A, Lew, M., Laba, M., Baveyye, P. 2005. Use of Spatial SQL to Assess the Practical Significance of the Modifiable Areal Unit Problem. Computer and Geosciences. Elsevier Press, v. 32, n. 2, pp. 270-274.
13. Lyon , S.W., Seibert, J, Lembo, A.J., Walter, M.T. 2005. Steenhuis, T.S. Geostatistical investigation into the temporal evolution of spatial structure in a shallow water table. Hydrology and Earth System Science Discussions, v. 2, n. 4. 1683-1716, 2005.
12. Sidumo, A. Shields, E, and Lembo, A. 2005. Estimating the Potato Leafhopper (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) Overwintering Range and Spring Premigrant Development by Using Geographic Information Systems. Journal of Economic Entomology, 98:03.
11. Ma, J., Scott, N., Lembo, A., and DeGloria, S. 2005. Siting analysis of farm-based centralized anaerobic digester systems for distributed generation using GIS. Biomass and Bioenergy, 28:6, pp. 591-600
10. Sinkevich, M. G., M.T. Walter, T. S. Steenhuis, A. J. Lembo, B. K. Richards, and N. Peranginangin. 2005. A GIS-based groundwater contamination risk assessment tool for pesticides. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation. 25 (4): 82-91.
9. Lyon, S.W., A.J. Lembo, M.T. Walter, T.S. Steenhuis. 2005. Defining probability of saturation with indicator kriging on hard and soft data. Advances in Water Resources. 29(2):181-193.
8. Davidson, R.A., Lembo, A.J., Ma, J., Nozick, L.K., O’Rourke, T.D. 2005. Optimization of Investments in Natural Gas Distribution Networks. Journal of Energy Engineering. American Society of Civil Engineers. Reston, VA.
7. O’Rourke, Lembo, and Nozick, 2003. Lessons Learned from the World Trade Center Disaster about Critical Utility Systems. In Natural Hazards. Published by Natural Hazards Research and Applications Information Center. University of Colorado.
6. Gardner, Sullivan, Lembo, 2003. Predicting stream temperatures: geostatistical model comparison using alternative distance metrics. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. Vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 344-351. National Research Council Canada.
5. Lembo, O’Rourke, and Moses, 2003. Coordinate Improvement of Vector GIS Data Using Rubbersheet Methods. Journal of Surveying and Land Information Science. Vol. 63, no. 1. The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
4. Lembo and O’Rourke. A Historical Review of Software Innovations in the Graphical User Interface for Rubbersheet Algorithms. Journal of Surveying and Land Information Science. Vol. 63, no. 3. The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
3. Lembo, Davidson, Nozick, and O’Rourke, 2003. Computing the Distance to Nearest Utility: As-the-Crow Flies vs. As the Gas Flows. Journal of Cartography and Geographic Information Systems. Vol. 30, no. 4. The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
2. Lembo, 2000. The Use of Real Time Kinematic Global Positioning System (GPS) Technology for Precise Corridor Mapping. GPS Solutions, Vol. 2, No. 4. Published by John Wiley & Son. (invited publication, not refereed).
1. Lembo and Hopkins; 1998. The Use of Adjustment Computations for Improving the Positional Accuracy of GIS Data. Journal of Surveying and Land Information Systems, Vol. 58, No. 4. Published by the American Congress on Surveying and Mapping.
Papers published at professional meetings
Ivanek, R., Gröhn, Y.T., Wells, M.T., Lembo Jr, A.J., Sauders, B.D. and Wiedmann M. Modeling of spatial and meteorological factors influencing Listeria isolation from natural environments. Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD) Anual Meeting, December 7- 9, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
Ivanek, R., Gröhn, Y.T., Wells, M.T., Lembo Jr, A.J., Sauders, B.D. and Wiedmann M. Modeling of spatially referenced ecological and meteorological factors influencing Listeria isolation from natural environments. The Society for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (SVEPM) Annual Conference, April 1-3, 2009, London, UK.
Comparison Of Coincident Terrestrial And Airborne Lidar Datasets With Repect To Detection Of Ground Metrics And Topographic Change (American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Dec. 2008). Robert E. Kayen Jonathan P. Stewart, Arthur J. Lembo, Jr, Jianping Hu, , Craig Davis, Brian D. Collins, Diane Minasian, and Thomas D. O'Rourke
Faison, H. M. Greene, J. Marrow, G. Mulford, A.J. Lembo, and J. Love. 2006.
Mult-disciplinary development and
application of information technology solutions in earthquake
reconnaissance. The 100 Anniversary
Earthquake Conference Commemorating the 1906 Earthquake. San Francisco, CA. April 18-22.
Lyon, S. W., J. Seibert, A. J. Lembo, M. T. Walter, W. J. Gburek, D. Thongs, E. Schneiderman, T. S. Steenhuis (2005), Interpolation of Water Quality Along Stream Networks from Synoptic Data, Eos Trans. AGU, 86(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract H31I-06 .
Wagenet, L.P., M.J. Pfeffer, S.D. DeGloria, A.J. Lembo, T.J. Fahey, and G.N. Nagle. 2005. Combining physical and social characteristics for stream management. Proc. Am. Water Res. Assoc. Seattle, WA. 4p.
Lembo and Francis, 2003. A Spatial Approach to the Analysis of Election Results. Proceedings of the Rural Sociological Society 66th Annual Meeting.”Spatial Inequality: Continuity and Change in Territorial Stratification”. Montreal Canada, July 27-30, 2003.
Lembo, Davidson, O’Rourke, Nozick, and Ma, 2003. GIS in Support of Optimization Modeling in the Gas Utility Industry. Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Environmental Systems Research Institute International User Conference. San Diego, CA. July 7-11, 2003.
O’Rourke, Lembo, and Nozick, 2002. Lessons Learned in Extreme Events in Crowded Urban Environments. In Proceedings. Second Annual IIASA-DPRI Meeting INTEGRATED DISASTER RISK MANAGEMENT: Megacity Vulnerability and Resilience IIASA, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria 29 - 31 July 2002.
Lembo, Annitto, and Reilly; 1995. Automated Quality Control of Photogrammetic Data. In Proceedings. 1995 Urban and Regional Information Systems Association, San Antonio, Texas.
Kramer and Lembo; 1989. A GIS Methodology for Large Scale Commercial Development. In Proceedings. 1989 GIS/LIS. Orlando, Florida.
Technical articles, books, etc.
Lembo, 2008. Manifold GIS. In Encyclopedia of GIS. Sage Publications. Edited by Karen Kemp.
Lembo, O’Rourke, Bonneau. 2004. Advanced Web Based GIS Management Technology. In Research Progress and Accomplishments: A selection of technical achievements of the multi-disciplinary center for earthquake engineering research. National Science Foundation EEC-9701471.
Lembo, 2004. How do I do that in ArcGIS/Manifold?: Illustrating classic GIS tasks.. Internet First University Press – Cornell University.
Lembo and DeGloria, 2001. Removal of Selective Availability: New Opportunities for Field Data Collection. Whats Cropping Up?
Lembo, 2000. The Use of Real Time Kinematic Global Positioning System (GPS) Technology for Precise Corridor Mapping. GPS Solutions, Vol. 2, No. 4. Published by John Wiley & Son.
Lembo, 1999. Implementing Enterprise GIS for Government: An Example from Nassau County. Chapter 7 in Enterprise GIS. Published by Urban and Regional Information Systems Association, edited by Nancy Von Meyer.
Lembo, 1999. Implementing Enterprise GIS for Business: An Example from the Long Island Rail Road. Chapter 8 in Enterprise GIS. Published by Urban and Regional Information Systems Association, edited by Nancy Von Meyer.
Extension publications (bulletins, fact sheets, newsletters edited, training materials/manuals for staff and clientele, etc.)
Albrecht and Lembo, 2002. Basic Geographic Information System Use for Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning. A workshop delivered to Cornell Cooperative Extension Field Crop Educators during the Nutrient Management Spear Program's summer retreat on September 4, 2002.
Lembo, O’Rourke, Nozick, 2001. GIS-Based Decision Support for Gas Distribution Systems: Task 2 – Identification and Selection of Relevant Databases Keyspan Energy, Hicksville , NY .
Lembo and DeGloria, 2001. Global Positioning System for Wetland Management. Instructed Agricultural Extension Agents in the use of global positioning system technology. This seminar include lecture, field collection of data with GPS, and processing GPS data.
Lembo and Davis, 2005. Seeing is learning: the use of very large images for research and teaching. Geoinformatics. January, 2005.
Lembo, 2004. Manifold GIS Review. Geoworld. Adams Business Media , New York , New York . May 2004.
Lembo, DeGloria, Sullivan, 2001. Strategies for Teaching Geographic Information Science in a Multi-Disciplinary University Environment. GIS Educator. Published by Environmental Research Institute Press.
Lembo, Powers, and Gorin, 1998. The Use of Innovative Data Collection Techniques in Support of Enterprise-wide GIS Development. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. September, 1998.
Lembo, 2003. Evaluating water system damage. Institute for Civil Infrastructure Systems.http
Lembo, 2002. Migrating Laboratory Exercises to ArcGIS: Lessons Learned. Second Annual ESRI International Educational User Conference. San Diego, California. Discussion on how universities can migrate existing laboratory exercises to new ESRI platform.
Lembo, 2002 NYS Conference on Geographic Information Systems, Syracuse , New York , (Spatial Interpolation: An Introduction to Variogram Modeling and Geostatistics) – Special invited presentation on methods of spatial interpolation.